Visa and sponsorship

While it can be a bit overwhelming when you first look into it, it’s actually not too complicated. After a little bit of reading, you will find that the whole process is actually pretty easy, whereas it of course also depends on your personal situation.

We will do our best to help you to make your adventure of relocating to Australia as smooth as possible. Just ask us if you have any questions – we’re always happy to help!

In general there are the following options:

Come to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa (WHV, subclass 417) and then get sponsored on a 457 Visa while you work


  • You can come to Australia ASAP – it usually takes less than 24 hours for the visa to be granted
  • Very easy application process
  • Your employer doesn’t have to do anything
  • Your employer can sponsor you (plus your partner!) on a 457 Visa after you arrived in Australia and started working for them. This will allow you to work in Australia for 4 years – or apply for a Permanent Residency (PR) after 2.

The downside:

  • You can only work for one company for up to 6 months. This is of course unless they sponsor you on a 457.


  • In between 18 and 30 years old. Good news: the age limit is about to be lifted to 35 years.
  • You have a passport from one of the eligible countries like e.g. UK, most of Europe (Belgium, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden), Canada, Hong Kong, Japan, Republic of Korea, Taiwan.

You can find more information here: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

Get sponsored on a 457 visa before you arrive in Australia


  • You don’t have to worry about your sponsorship anymore when you arrive in Australia.
  • The company can sponsor your partner and you.

The downside:

  • You will not be able to jump on the next plane but you will need to wait until you have been granted the visa.


  • You have been sponsored by a company

You can find more information here: https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/457-

Get your independent PR (Permanent Residency) before you come to Australia


  • Coming to Australia on a PR means that you have unlimited working rights.

The downside: 

  • It is quite a lengthy and complicated process to get a PR when you are not sponsored via a company. I would recommend you to speak with an immigration agent or an immigration lawyer if you are interested in this option.


  • As it is a complicated process to get a PR if you are not sponsored by a company I would recommend you to speak with an immigration agent or immigration lawyer.

There is also a new visa finder which is worth checking out: https://www.border.gov.au/visas/Pages/StandAloneVisaFinder.aspx

Please note that we are not an immigration agency and therefore legally can only give you general tips regarding visas. If you’d like to speak with an immigration agent just let us know; we know a very good one that we can refer you to.